If you read through this list of 65 quotes from leaders and thinkers, a pattern emerges; to grow and to experience life is to take risk. This is true for entrepreneurs, business owners, students, everyone who want to live life to its fullest.
Take risk, leap, run, just let go of your own expectations and truly discover what life has in store for you. If you do the same thing every day, live the same way, you will always get the same thing; you cannot hope to become better or experience anything spectacular. As Deepak Chopra said “The Universe has no restrictions. It has no understanding of restrictions. It is us who place restrictions on the universe with our own expectations.”
So here’s a challenge for all of us today; write down all the things that we think we’ll never do; rock-climbing, public speaking, write a book, learn a new language, quit that stagnant job, whatever your mind tells your heart that are undoable. List them and that would be your resolution for the new year.
If there is one thing that I have learnt over the years, it is that there is truly unlimited possibilities in life. Possibilities come with new connections and those connections come from you moving out from your comfort zone and trying new things. Becoming comfortable in wherever you are now is the sign of atrophy. Your body and mind deteriorate and before you know it, there will be a dearth of excitement and creativity in your life and then come the downward spiral into mediocrity and “safe” actions. You will be cruising into oblivion.
Determine to do some new things each month and a big project each year and see how you could experience all the riches that life offers. And as Steve Jobs said “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.”
Allow these amazing quotes to dare you:
- “Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” –Mark Twain
- “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” –Lao Tzu
- “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” –T. S. Eliot
- “Many great ideas have been lost because the people who had them could not stand being laughed at.” –Unknown
- “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I … I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” –Robert Frost
- “Unless you choose to do great things with it, it makes no difference how much you are rewarded, or how much power you have.” –Oprah Winfrey
- “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.” –Tony Robbins
- “If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.” –Jim Rohn
- “If you’re offered a seat on a rocket ship, don’t ask what seat! Just get on.” –Sheryl Sandberg
- “People who don’t take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.” –Peter F. Drucker
- “Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.” –e. e. cummings
- “If you’re going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big.” –Donald Trump
- “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” –Andre Gide
- “The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open.” –Chuck Palahniuk
- “You can’t outwit fate by trying to stand on the sidelines and place little side bets about the outcome of life. Either you wade in and risk everything to play the game, or you don’t play at all. And if you don’t play, you can’t win.” –Judith McNaught
- “If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.” –Mario Andretti
- “Everyone has a ‘risk muscle.’ You keep it in shape by trying new things. If you don’t, it atrophies. Make a point of using it at least once a day.” –Roger von Oech
- “Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it.” –Oprah Winfrey
- “The person who risks nothing does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” –Leo F. Buscaglia
- “Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.” –Denis Waitley
For the rest of the quotes, please go here.