Changes to Singapore Employment Law/ Visa Applications

Raffles place in Singapore

Singapore Employment law urges companies to issue payroll slips and key employment terms (KETs) to balance employer-employee relationship.

Issue payslips to employees

The Singapore Employment Act has been reviewed in the last year and there have been some key changes that will affect employers in Singapore from 1st April 2016.

  • Employers are required to issue payslips to employees. Payslips must be provided at least once a month along with the employee’s salary. Requirements for content of payslips are very specific and the MOM’s website as always has very clear guidelines for payslip content.
  • Employees are required to provide key employment terms (KETs) to their employees in writing– This is most likely provided by preparing a contract of service/ employment for each employee. It must be provided within 14 days from start of employment and can be a hard or soft copy. Requirements are very specific and the MOM site has provides a special assistance package for employers.
  • Employees must keep employment records for each member of staff for two years. Again the requirements for the employment records are detailed by the MOM website.

Give priority to local talents

Another relatively recent change with regard to applying for Employment Passes from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) here in Singapore is that all job openings in Singapore must first be posted on the MOM’s Jobsbank to allow Singaporean citizens to apply for the job prior to putting the job out to foreigners. Employers must show that they have made a reasonable effort to interview and offer openings to Singaporeans. The employment permit application for foreigners requires the identity of the job posting from the MOM’s jobs bank. The application also requires a reason as to why a Singaporean was not hired for the role.

The EPonline service, the MOM’s online system for application for employment permits in Singapore has also recently put out the following notice regarding work permit applications for Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists and Speech Therapists ”From 17 December 2015, all work pass applications for Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists and Speech Therapists must be supported by a Practising Certificate from the Allied Health Professions Council (AHPC). Candidates will therefore need to register with AHPC before their work pass application is submitted.”

Healy Consultants Group has 10+ years of working with MOM for work permit application and are happy to help you apply for a visa in conjunction with company set up and bank opening services here in Singapore. To speak to one of our client engagement officers, please contact us at .

Photo credit: “Raffles Place” by RamirBorja at English Wikipedia. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons.

Healy Consultants Group provides a wide range of corporate services across the world. Email or WhatsApp us now to find out more about our services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *